This guide will walk you through the process of exporting one or more LMN Vendor Bills into either QuickBooks Online, or QuickBooks Desktop.
If you are using QuickBooks Desktop, you can skip ahead to Queuing Vendor Bills for Quickbooks Export.
Get Set Up in LMN Accounting (QuickBooks Online)
Before trying to export Vendor Bills, first you will need to head into LMN Accounting and make sure that your vendors and tax codes are matched properly between QuickBooks and LMN.
- In the Setup submenu, click on 'Link Vendors.' The page that opens will default to an 'UnMatched Vendors' tab that shows a list of vendors from your LMN CRM, that have not yet been linked to a vendor within your QuickBooks instance.
- Use the dropdowns in the 'Match to Existing QuickBooks Vendor' to select the appropriate QuickBooks-side vendor if it exists. If it does not, you can leave the dropdown set to '<NO MATCH>' and the 'Action' column to 'Create New Vendor,' then click on the green 'Create' button to create a new QuickBooks vendor, which will be matched to the LMN vendor in that row.
Matching Tax Codes:
Matching your LMN Tax Codes to the QuickBooks Tax Items for your Expense Accounts is an important step before exporting Vendor Bills, because the Expense Account you are allocating a purchased material (for example) to, will often be different from the Expense Account which will apply to the tax you paid on that purchase.
- In the Setup submenu, click on 'Link Tax Codes.' The page that opens will default to an 'UnMatched taxes' tab that shows a list your LMN Tax Codes, that have not yet been linked to a Codes within your QuickBooks instance. Matching to a QuickBooks tax code works similarly to matching Vendors as described above.
- When creating new matches or reviewing existing ones, use the dropdowns in the 'Select QuickBooks Expense Account' to make sure that the appropriate Account is applied to each Tax Code. If you are making updates to existing matches via the 'Matched Taxes' tab, make sure you click the 'Save Matches' button when done.
Vendor Bills Settings
Next, it is time to review the settings that will apply to your Vendor Bill exports. Within LMN Accounting's Vendor Bills submenu, click on the 'Settings' link. Here you will see two selectors:
- On this screen you can also set whether or not you want tax information to come along with your Vendor Bills as they are exported from LMN to QuickBooks.
- Check 'My Company Calculates Taxes in Vendor Bills' if you want tax information to be brought over with each bill. (NOTE: you will need to have properly matched your tax codes [see above] if you want the exports to work correctly with this setting enabled.)
- Check 'My Company does Not Calculate Taxes in Vendor Bills' if you do not want tax information to come over into QuickBooks along with your exported vendor bills.
Queuing LMN Vendor Bills for QuickBooks export
Before you can export Vendor Bills to QuickBooks, you will need to queue them for exporting within LMN. There are two ways to do this:
- From within the Edit page of a Vendor Bill itself, there is a 'Queue' button at the top left. (Note: your LMN account will need to have a connected QuickBooks account in order for this button to appear.)
- When looking at a Vendor Bills list -- either the main list accessed under Jobs within the LMN navigation menu, or a list within a job -- you'll now have the ability to checkmark one or more Bills. After you have done so, a prompt will appear with an 'Export to QB' button. When this is clicked, the selected Bills will become queued.
If you're using QuickBooks Desktop, you may now skip ahead to export your Vendor Bills into QuickBooks Desktop.
Reviewing Queued Vendor Bills in LMN Accounting (QuickBooks Online)
To review your queued Vendor Bills before completing the export operation, head into LMN Accounting and select 'Vendor Bills' from the main navigation menu. This will take you to the Vendor Bills screen.
If the Vendor associated with your Vendor Bill in LMN text-matches any Vendors already existing in your QuickBooks account, LMN Accounting will suggest the match automatically. To revise a suggested Vendor match, just click on the ‘Edit Match’ button and you will be able to choose from the list of your existing vendors in QuickBooks.
If no match was detected by LMN Accounting, this Bill’s Vendor dropdown will default to ‘Create New Vendor.‘ From here, there are two ways to connect a QuickBooks Vendor to the bill:
- Use ‘Edit Match’ to manually match the Bill to a QuickBooks Vendor from your account; or,
- Proceed to Publish the queued Vendor Bill with ‘Create New Vendor’ selected. If you do so, LMN Accounting will create a new Vendor within your QuickBooks account, using the text from your LMN Vendor Bill’s ‘Vendor’ field.
Publish your Vendor Bills to QuickBooks Online
To complete the export, click the 'Publish' button. After you've done so, you can use the Job Status screen to confirm that your Vendor Bill exports were successful. If they were, you'll be able to now see those Vendor Bills within your QuickBooks Online account.
Export your Vendor Bills to QuickBooks Desktop
Review and Match your Queued Vendor Bills
Make sure you are using the newest version of LMN QuickBooks Sync and open up the program. In the program's home page, under the Time menu, you will see a new option: 'Publish Vendor Bills.' Click this to proceed to the 'Import Vendor Bills' screen.
This page will read out some high-level details about each of your queued Vendor Bills from LMN. In the rightmost three columns, each cell contains a dropdown that you can use to assign each Vendor Bill to a QuickBooks-side QuickBooks Vendor, QuickBooks Account, and Tax Account.
Each of these dropdowns will default to a value of '<Not Matched>.' To match a Vendor Bill to an existing entity, just select it from the list that populates within the dropdown. Or, if no matching entity already exists within QuickBooks Desktop, you can select the value '<NEW VENDOR>' (or '<NEW ACCOUNT>' for the rightmost two fields).
Finish exporting your Queued Vendor Bills to QuickBooks Desktop
When you are ready to complete the export operation, click the green 'Sync Now' button found on the lower right part of the page. This will complete the export operation and your Vendor Bills will now appear within QuickBooks Desktop.